This Green bean curry might be really easy but it’s also so good!
My wife and I learned to make this green bean curry while in Sri Lanka at a little restaurant called Inspire.
We just happened upon the place and loved the meal we had so much that we asked for the recipes. This green bean curry was just one of a few we learned the following day.
You can see the whole video of us learning the recipe on YouTube. If you do check out the video, please be sure to subscribe to my channel as I have a lot more recipe videos on the way!
My research trip to Sri Lanka…
If you haven’t tried Sri Lankan food before, it is time you did. If you have, then you know what I’m talking about.
Most of the recipes, like this green bean curry are really simple to make. There are few ingredients but the ingredients used work so well together.
I spent a month recently in Sri Lanka and came back with over 30 new recipes that I can’t wait to share with you. You can find links to some of them below just above the recipe.
Most of these recipes are one pot dishes so they are perfect any time and without any fuss.
Make this green bean curry recipe your own…
I have typed the recipe exactly as my wife and I learned it.
Recipes are really just suggestions though so feel free to adjust as you like. You can add more or less chilli powder for example.
Step by step photos…
Want to try some more delicious Sri Lankan recipes?
Black pork curry
Black chicken curry
3 Meat Curry
Eggplant (Aubergine) curry
- 225g (1/2 lb) green beans, slices at an angle into 5cm (2 inch) pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 5cm (2 inch) piece of leek, thinly sliced
- 15 curry leaves, fresh or frozen, roughly chopped
- 1 x 2.5cm x 2.5cm (1 inch x 1 inch) pandan leaf, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp light coconut milk
- Put the sliced green beans into a bowl and mix in the turmeric and salt with your hands. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a clay pot or sauce pan over medium high heat. When visibly hot, stir in the mustard seeds. When they begin to crackle in the hot oil, stir in the chopped garlic.
- Fry the garlic for about 30 seconds and then add the curry leaves, , pandan leaves, onion and leeks and chilli powder. Continue cooking until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the green beans and coat them with the oil and other ingredients. Stir fry for about 3 minutes and then add the coconut milk.
- Continue cooking until the beans are cooked through to your liking and add more salt to taste to serve.
I hope you enjoy this Sri Lankan green bean curry! If you do try it, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.
Enjoy Best Vegan Recipes, through our blog with a list of best Vegan Dinners, Vegan Breakfast,Vegetable Curry, Vegan Food Prep and much more, Get The Best of the Web with healthy vegan recipes.
More info about this Vegan Recipe, click here.